THE CHICAGO CUBS HAVE WON THE WORLD SERIES FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 1908!
For anyone who knows me, I am from New York. I grew up a die hard New York Yankees fan. I live in Michigan now, and I’m surrounded by Detroit Tigers fans. Most of them respect the fact that I still root for my home team, others berate me for it. Whatever, who has 27 World Series titles? Yeah, that’s right, the Yankees!
The Chicago Cubs haven’t won the World Series since 1908, and they haven’t even made it to the World Series since 1945. By a large margin, the Cubs have been baseball’s underdog for a very long time. In 2015, they came very close to the World Series. It looked like they were going to fulfill the prophecy set by Back to the Future II…
…but then they failed to win the pennant.
But this year, the Cubs have played better than any other team in the MLB! They were nearly unstoppable. Since the Yankees were playing like crap this year and couldn’t clinch the wildcard, and since the Tigers didn’t make it either, I’ve been rooting for the Cubs this post season because they’re the underdog, and because I really don’t like the Cleveland Indians. But last night, the Cubs beat the Indians 8 to 7 in the 10th inning of Game 7, and have won the World Series title for the first time in 108 years!
Here’s a fun list of some things that happened in the world since the last time the Cubs won the World Series:
- Radio was invented
- TV was invented
- Haley’s Comet passed Earth twice
- George Burns celebrated his 10th – 100th birthdays
- Harry Caray was born and died
- The NBA, NHL, and NFL were formed, and to top it off, the Chicago teams won championships in each league
- Man landed on the moon
- Prohibition was created, and repealed
- Women were given the right to vote
- The planet Pluto was discovered and demoted
- Segregation ended
- The Titanic was built, set sail, sank, was discovered, and became the subject of a major motion picture
- Wrigley Field was built and became the oldest park in the National League
- There were 11 amendments added to the Constitution
- Flag poles were erected on Wrigley Field’s roof to hold all of the team’s future World Series pennants. Those flag poles have since rusted and been taken down (it looks like they need to put some back up)
- A combination of over 40 summer & winter Olympics have been held.
- Thirteen baseball players have won the Triple Crown
- Bell bottoms came in style, went out of style, and came back in style
- The Cleveland Indians, Arizona Diamondbacks, Florida Marlins, and Boston Red Sox (don’t remind me of this!) have ALL won the World Series
- Sliced bread and the zipper were invented (no joke)
- Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma, and New Mexico were added to the Union
Congratulations Cubbies, you finally did it! And congratulations to all the true Cubs fans out there, you waited a LONG time for this.
Now back to the regularly scheduled NaNoWriMo posts.